Fort Sam Houston Joint Base San Antonio, San Antonio, TX
OPTICAL TECHNICIAN- FORT SAM HOUSTON, SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS
Fidelity Partners is a leading national healthcare, technology and logistics services company supporting both private and government sector clients. We are committed to the highest levels of professionalism and work ethic to cultivate long-term relationships.
We are currently accepting qualified applications for Optical Technician at Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio, TX.
Position Description and Responsibilities:
- Provide the services of optical technicians for the production of prescription ophthalmic spectacles.
- Performs work on a rotating basis in all production phases of the Optical Fabrication Laboratory, where single vision and multi-focal spectacles are fabricated on a production line basis.
- Optical Technician can be expected to produce monthly on average, approximately 35,486 pairs of glasses.
- During the course of varied assignments, regularly interprets spectacle prescriptions showing patient measurements and eyeglass specifications prescribed by a Doctor of Optometry to a patient for visual correction.
- Using patients prescription, mathematically computes lens foci to include decentration and prism requirements utilizing Ophthalmic Formulas. Selects Ophthalmic lenses or lens blanks by lens material (Polycarbonate, High Index, CR39 or Other Materials) required for the fabrication of lenses to exact prescription specifications.
- Selects proper frame according to spectacle prescription and forwards to the surfacing or fabrication sections.
- Must be capable of operating Ophthalmic lens-manufacturing devices/equipment in both the surfacing and fabrication sections of the laboratory.
- Ophthalmic devices/equipment include Eclipse Turbo Freebond Surface Blocker, DTL100 and Lens Maker XRT Lens Generators, Acuity Plus Lens Surfacers, Lens Station Washers, Lens Coating Machines, Tinting Equipment, Humphrey Lens Analyzers, AIT Speede Lens Blockers, National Optonics 6E, 6ES and 7ES edging machines.
- Performs routine operator maintenance on and adjustments to equipment used, to include oiling, lubrication, etc., in accordance with operator’s manuals.
- Assures machines are operating properly when using equipment.
- Work is performed independently in accordance with established laboratory procedures, techniques of the trade and the specifications outlined on the prescription.
- Completed work is reviewed for timeliness, volume and quality.
- As directed, serves as backup, performing supply or clerical duties as well as packing and shipping of completed eyeglasses.
- Assists in the conduct of physical inventories of supplies on hand and initiates requisitions.
- Upon receipt of items, compares with requisitions, unpacks items and places them in proper location.
- Prepares completed spectacles for delivery to appropriate clinics.
- Tests lenses for safety and expertly assembles lenses and frames.
- Aligns and inserts lenses into zylonite frame while frame is expanded by heat.
- Also fits lenses into metal frames by bending metal frame to fit lens curvature and/or removing excess lens material with hand beveling device.
- Tint lenses to required filtering requirements as specified by the prescription and compliance with ANSI Standards utilizing a photometer or equivalent device.
- Uses lens analyzer to make final inspection of completed spectacles for possible flaws or faulty workmanship.
- Evaluates completed optical devices/spectacles utilizing necessary Ophthalmic formulas and sound judgment to determine if Optical devices/spectacles comply with the prescribing Doctors Prescription and ANSI standards prior to the delivery of spectacles to patient.